By James T. Murphy, P?draig Carmody
Africa’s info Revolution was lately introduced as the 2016 prizewinner of the Royal Academy for out of the country Sciences - congratulations to the authors James T. Murphy and Padraig Carmody!
Africa’s info Revolution provides an in-depth exam of the improvement and financial geographies accompanying the swift diffusion of recent ICTs in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Represents the 1st book-length comparative case examine ICT diffusion in Africa of its kind
- Confronts present details and verbal exchange applied sciences for improvement (ICT4D) discourse via offering a counter to mostly positive mainstream views on Africa’s customers for m- and e-development
- Features comparative learn in keeping with greater than two hundred interviews with companies from a producing and repair in Tanzania and South Africa
- Raises key insights concerning the structural demanding situations dealing with Africa even within the context of the continent’s fresh monetary progress spurt
- Combines views from fiscal and improvement geography and technology and know-how reviews to illustrate the ability of built-in conceptual-theoretical frameworks
- Include maps, photographs, diagrams and tables to focus on the suggestions, box study settings, and key findings
Read Online or Download Africa's information revolution : technical regimes and production networks in South Africa and Tanzania PDF
Best globalization books
Howard Lyman's testimony at the Oprah Winfrey express printed the lethal impression of the farm animals on our wellbeing and fitness. It not just resulted in Oprah's statement that she'd by no means consume a burger back, it despatched surprise waves via a involved and weak public.
A fourth-generation Montana rancher, Lyman investigated using chemical compounds in agriculture after constructing a spinal tumor that almost paralyzed him. Now a vegetarian, he blasts throughout the propaganda of pork and dairy pursuits -- and the govt enterprises that guard them -- to show an animal-based vitamin because the basic explanation for melanoma, center ailment, and weight problems during this nation. He warns that the cattle is repeating the blunders that ended in Mad Cow affliction in England whereas at the same time inflicting critical harm to the surroundings.
Persuasive, simple, and entire of the down-home stable humor and optimism of a son of the soil, Mad Cowboy is either an inspirational tale of non-public transformation and a powerful name to motion for a plant-based nutrition -- for the nice of the planet and the overall healthiness folks all.
Without delay informative and pleasing, inspiring and difficult, My la offers a deep knowing of city improvement and alter during the last 40 years in l. a. and different urban areas of the realm. as soon as the least dense American city, la is now the country’s densest urbanized region and the most culturally heterogeneous towns on the earth.
This ebook provides a heritage of AIDS keep watch over in Uganda, from the beginning of the epidemic within the early Eighties up till 2005. Uganda is celebrated across the world as an AIDS 'success story', either for its bringing down HIV prevalence and occurrence over the Nineteen Nineties, and for its leading edge method of scaling up the availability of antiretroviral treatment.
- Biliteracy and Globalization: English Language Education in India (Bilingual Education and Bilingualism)
- Lecturer's Guide to Quality and Standards in Colleges and Universities
- Regionalism in Global Trade
- The Globalization of Multinational Enterprise Activity and Economic Development
- Measuring Globalisation: OECD Economic Globalisation Indicators 2010
- Globalization or Regionalization of the American and Asian Car Industry?
Additional info for Africa's information revolution : technical regimes and production networks in South Africa and Tanzania
Whereas e-business represents a form of immanent development, ICT4D, arguably, is a form of imminent development where non-governmental organizations, governments and international agencies attempt to harness ICTs for intentional developmental ends. Common examples of ICT4D projects include government sponsored and supported telecenters in the developing world. , 2008). While ICT4D promoters tout the power of these technologies for transformative forms of socioeconomic and political development, the success rate of these initiatives has been modest at best.
Amit and Zott (2001) defined an e-business as one that derives more than 10% of its revenue online. Rather than trying to determine when the 10% benchmark is reached, this book instead adopts Molla and Licker’s (2005: 90) broad definition of e-business as commercial activities that are enabled by ICTs; we would add mobile telephony networks to this definition as well: Conducting one or more core business functions internally with organizations or externally with suppliers, intermediaries, consumers, government, and other members of the enterprise environment through the application of solutions that run on Internet-based and other computer networks.
A core framing of the technology–development nexus draws upon and advances Schumpeter’s (1939) argument that long-wave cycles of economic growth are driven by changes to the sociotechnical paradigm, which effectively shifts a country’s production-possibilities frontier to higher value-added and more productive economic sectors (Freeman and Soete, 1997). However, Freeman (2001: 121) cautioned that “bubbles, euphoria and panics” are common phenomena during the early diffusion of new technologies, and ICTs are thus no different in this regard.